Henry's Home Page

Hi, I'm Henry.
I'm a 1997 Harley-Davidson FLSTC

I was delivered to Dean's Harley-Davidson dealership in Souderton, PA, in Juno of '97, having been ordered before Goodwrench even knew that he was moving to Texas.

This is Henry

I've been to Sturgis.

Here's a shot of Goodwrench & Goodwench by the famous Hewlitt, WY antler stack on our '97 trip:

I'm hoping to get the Screaming Eagle air cleaner on very soon.
See article from American Iron Magazine: A No-Budget Fix for CV Carbs
11/16/97 I must admit, I've been spending a lot more time on the computer than the bike for the past month. The bike is tucked safely in the garage. Because I replaced the handlebars with a pair of old style real wide ones, I was not able to get the bike into the house for the winter, though I had a space all set aside for it.
4/24/98 Henry's got just a bit over 4,000 miles on him now. It sure is nice to finally live in an area where I can ride year round..
10/28/98 I got really busy with moving into the CyberRanch and hadn't had much time to ride Henry. When I took him to get inspected in July I thought his battery had gone bad from lack of use for two months. The new battery I purchased quickly ran down as well. When I determined it wasn't charging, I took the bike into a Harley dealer because the problem had started within one year of the purchase of the bike. Because it was the end of September when the dealer discovered the regulator had gone bad, Harley said that the bike was no longer under warranty and refused to help at all. I'm very disappointed with Harley Davidson's attitude toward the customer. To add insult to injury, when I finally got enough time and someone to run me down to the Harley shop, I arrived about 7 minutes after closing time. Because the work wasn't yet paid for, the employee wouldn't let me take the bike. It was another two weeks after that before I could finally make some time to get by the dealership. They were all apologetic and told me that the employee couldn't release my bike when I tried to pick it up because the mechanic hadn't yet signed off on the work. I almost believed this story until I was riding home and I realized that I had gone to pick up the bike three days after I received a telephone message that the work was done. I sure can't believe that I'd get a call telling me the work was done when the mechanic hadn't signed off on it yet.

Motorcycle History

(written Oct. '96 for Physician's On Line)

I've been riding motorcycles since I was 8 yrs old. I began by sneaking the little Ammericci Harley 50cc out of our barn where a friend had stored it when he went off to see the sights and experience the wonders of Southeast Asia. I lived in a very rural farm area, so we could go 40 miles on our dirt bikes without using "hardly" any roads.
I started on a Kawasaki 100, then graduated to a Honda 175 twin street and dirt. Then I got one of the original Yamaha DT-250's to really fly over the back country.
After getting totally bored with showing horses, I started racing motocross with Honda's 125 Elsinore which was absolute state of the art it's first year, somewhat dated during its second year, and a total dinosaur when I raced it the third and forth season. It's really good that I kept getting better, because the competitors bikes sure did.
My first real street bike was a Honda CB-350-F, the four cylinder, that I bought new in 1973 when I turned 16. I still have that one, in pristine condition in Fathers basement. My black 79 CB-750-F was a really great bike. From near Philadelphia, I rode that one to the Florida Keys twice, through Maine up to Nova Scotia, and then later completely cross country, taking 8 weeks and camping all but three motel nights. The first year 1983 V-4 Interceptor that I had after that was supposed to be really trick and state of the art. I really liked the '79 better. Next I got an XL-350 street/dirt Honda. Was pretty funny when I traded the Interceptor in on it. That little dirt bike was great for commuting around Philadelphia to my rotations during med. school and residency. On the really curvy roads through Fairmont Park I could blow off all the hot Sportbike weenies on their 600 Kawasaki Ninja's and 750 Suzuki's. Took it everywhere that I didn't ride to on my Mountain Bike. Didn't have a car on the road for two winters around about then, and got through them both fine, thanks to the help of an electric vest, and other warm accessories.
I liked the dual purpose bike concept so much that I then purchased a 1987 BMW 1000-GS (like the Paris to Dakar model). Not only was this good around town, but the legendary 1000 cc boxer twin was up to any length trip. Really took care of this baby, changed the oil ever 2,000 to 2,500 miles, and had put a quart of Slick-50 in it when it hit 30,000 miles. Sadly, on a beautiful moonlit spring night (May 24, 1994) I found out first hand that a tractor trailer - motorcycle collision is not a fair match. Truck driver claims he never even knew he hit me. Thankfully, I was only close to going under the trailer's wheels. Probably should list damages to me and the bike here on a posting. Suffice it to say that the bike was totaled and I wasn't quite. Thank God for Medivac helicopters and Hospital of the Univ. Penn's excellent trauma unit....
I ordered my first real Harley back in March of 1996. The Heritage Softail Classic should have a build date of March or May of this year. It will be the Birch white and Bright aqua custom paint. The reason I took so long to order my Harley is that I had been looking for a '36 to '41 big twin. Actually, I still am, if anyone knows of one. An Indian between 1932 and 1953 would also be acceptable. Fortunately Goodwench has no problems agreeing with me that a clean and detailed Harley makes a good centerpiece to really set off a living room.
Now, I don't ride incognito, though it is true that we are living in times where it more respected by society to be a biker than a doctor. One of my only concerns is that I might be mistaken for one of newbies, who are called RUBBIES (Rich Urban Bikers). This includes all the "beautiful people" like Bruce Willis, Gary Bussey, Sly Stallone, Cher, and for God's sake, even Billy Joel. (Aw, poor little Billy Joel, tipped over in the Hamptons and hurt his little piano playing wrist)
Anyway, due to a motorcycle accident, I'm giving up on the delivery of medical services, but I'll never not be a biker. In fact, I am moving to Central Texas where I can ride all year round. Yeeee ha....
08-02-06 Things sure don't always work out as planned

This is not Henry, I just thought it was a cool bike.

Email me at goodwrench@cyberranch.org
Email me.

Y'all please come back soon.

Back to Home Page

updated July 24, 1998