Origin of the Nebraska Tests


About 1915, a Nebraska farmer named Wilmot Fl Crozier, who has also been a schoolteacher (to support the farm, he said), purchased a "Ford" tractor from the Minneapolis outfit not related to Henry Ford. (They had a man named Ford join the company in order to use the name.) The tractor was so unsatisfactory that he demanded the company replace it. They did, but the replacement was worse. Farmer Crozier then bought a Bull tractor. This too was completely unsatisfactory. Next he bought a 1918 Rumely "Three-plow." The Rumely met and exceeded Crozier's expectations. Not only did it stand up the strains of farming, he was able to regularly pull a five-bottom plow. Shortly afterward, Crozier was elected to the Nebraska legislature.
In 1919, Representative Crozier and Senator Charles Warner introduced legislation that resulted in the Nebraska Test Law. The law required that any tractor so in the state of Nebraska had to be certified by the state. The state was to test the tractors to see that they lived up to their advertised claims. The University of Nebraska's Agricultural Engineering Department would conduct the tests. L. W. Chase and Claude Shedd devised the tests and the test equipment, which have since become standards for the world.
The first test was made in the fall of 1919 (things happened a lot faster in those days) of a Twin City 12-20, but could not be completed because of snowfall. The first complete test was made in the spring of 1920. A certificate was issued for the Waterloo Boy Model N.
*Exerpted from "Illustrated Ford & Fordson Tractor Buyers Guide" Robert N. Pripps



Back to Tractor Page

Back to Homepage