I'd been stuffed in a two car garage.
You can see that most of my working conditions had been outside by looking at the pictures on Truckster's page.
4/23/98 I'm really excited about the possibility of finally having a real shop.
The property that we are currently
looking at has a 30' x 65' metal building. Right now there is even a
lift installed, but the owner is careful to state that it is not
included in the purchase price of the property. He believes that it
worth about $3,300 installed. Articles that I've read recently seem to
say I might be able to get a new one for less than that. I will add
more if it looks like we will be getting the property.
5/7/98 It does look like we are
getting the property. The seller and I arranged a package deal that
included the lift, as well as a tractor and some equipment for it. I
think it's going to great to have a lift. The only trade-off seems to
be one of shop space. Because this lift requires a huge vertical column
on each side, it takes up a lot of floor space.
5/19/98 Although the property
closing is not until 5/27/98, I moved a bunch of my tools to the shop
over this past weekend. I took the Delta Contractor's saw, radial arm
saw, 1" & 2" belt grinders, dust collector, band saw, miter saw,
parts washer, oxy-acetylene tanks, MIG welder, HVLP paint sprayer and
respirator, to name but a few. Believe it or not, my current garage
doesn't even look that empty.
7/21/98 Putting 3/4" iron pipe
in the shop for the compressed air system. The iron pipe will help the
water vapor condense so that the filters will be able to remove it. The
other important point is that all the places where the line comes off
the main system are on 8" risers. This allows the equipment to draw air
without the water. I'm sure hoping I'll be able to sandblast with this
system and not have to go out and get a larger air compressor right
away. I'm also switching over to 1/2" air hose with 3/8" fittings. This
should result in much less pressure drop.
The floor is still not done in the
shop, so all my parts and tools are still stacked in the shed end of
the building. Goodwench was going to have Diamond Liner spray the shop
floor for my birthday present, but we just don't seem to be able to get
a hold of Walt, the owner. If the Diamond Liner doesn't happen soon,
I'll just use the 3 gallons of gray epoxy paint that I already bought
for the floor.
The pack of pictures that had some
views of the shop got "lost" in the move and the scanner still needs to
be hooked up to my computer. I do have some pictures of unloading my
800 lb. milling machine/lathe from the trailer with the boom on the
back of the Ford 640.
I finally got one distant picture of the shop building scanned.
11/14/98 Some things have
been happening with the shop. I put down the 1 foot square black and white floor
tiles in the front or office part of the shop. I'm working at getting all the
stuff that was just stacked in the dirt floor part put away so I can use that
space. It would be nice to get the Farmall F-12 pulled in there so I could start
using the torch on the manifold and other bolts that are stuck.
6/23/99 Not only has the F-12
been sitting in the open, dirt floor end of the shop for a while now, but the
cows are using it for shelter as well. I've used the lift a few times,
especially for the Willys. The front part is getting more organized. It's still
a long way from how I'd like to have it set up, but at least I can use it. The
thing I find a disadvantage is having it so far from the house. Sometimes I
think of building another shop nearer to the house and just finding other uses
for this building.
Here is a shot
of the south side after the main shop expansion:
This is the shed built along the "Great Wall of Chilton"
(or Hwy 77 Fence)
And here is a pic inside the added portion of the
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Y'all please come back soon.
Back to Homepage